|Type of record:||Monument|
A cross was erected here during the reign of Edward III; it was rebuilt in 1503 and taken down 1732. According to 19th century documents a small oratory or chapel was also built at the site of the market cross but was turned into a storehouse at the time of the Dissolution. Excavations in the area in 1909 supposedly discovered the foundations of the Market Cross.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22968 08505|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Cross erected in reign of Edward III, rebuilt 1503 - taken down 1732.
1909. 'In excavations for the new lavatory some massive remains were found in a line with the Waterloo Tavern and the south side of Davey Place supposed to be the foundations of the Market Cross'.
Manuscript note by F. R. Beecheno in his copy of Kirkpatrick's 'Streets and Lanes' p36 at NCM (S1)
'Small oratory or chapel in Market cross - turned into storehouse at Dissolution' (Blyth 1842).
The foundations of the Market Cross were identified during work in Norwich market place.
See (S2) for further details
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1350 AD to 1732 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Kirkpatrick, J. and Hudson, W (ed.). 1889. The Streets and Lanes of the City of Norwich. p 63. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. Sign of our glorious past. 3 March. |
|Mon 784||Parent of: Market Cross (Monument)|
|Site 1658||Parent of: Market Place (Monument)|
|Mon 1060||Part of: Market Place (Monument)|
|40773||Part of: Norwich Provision Market (Monument)|
Find out more...