Record Details

NHER Number:56350
Type of record:Monument
Name:19th century milestone marking Norwich 9 miles, Thetford 20 miles and Attleborough 6 miles

Summary

One of 21 surviving milestones located along the Norwich to Thetford turnpike. The turnpike was created in 1766 and lasted until 1870.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1129 0155
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Milestone marking Norwich 9 miles, Thetford 20 miles and Attleborough 6 miles, also incorporating an Ordnance Survey benchmark. One of 21 surviving milestones along the former Norwich-Thetford turnpike. The turnpike originally ran from Wymondham to Attleborough in 1695 but was extended in 1708 to Hethersett and extended again in 1766 to run from Town Close, Norwich (just outside St Stephen's Gate) to the Chalk Pits near Thetford.
(S1) includes details of this and other surviving milestones along this route.
D. Holburn (HES), 13 December 2011.

August 2011. Maintenance by the Milestone Society.
Milestone Society members cleaned and painted this marker.
Information from survey form (S2) and photograph (S3).
H. Mellor (HES), 17 May 2018.

Monument Types

  • MILESTONE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Ford, J. and Ford, N. 2014. Moving Miles. Restoring 60 of Norfolk's milestones with the help of children, royalty, and hard work. pp 132-133.
<S1>Article in Serial: Haines, C. 1991. Norfolk Milestones, Part IV. Journal of Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.34-42.
<S2>Survey Form: Ford, N. 2011-2015. Milestone Society Report Form. The Milestone Society. NO_NT09.
<S3>Photograph: Ford, J. 2013. Photograph of the milestone marked Norwich 9 miles, Thetford 20 miles, Attleborough 6 miles, Norwich Road, Wymondham. The Milestone Society. Digital. jpeg.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service