Record Details

NHER Number:6103
Type of record:Monument
Name:Bronze Age round barrow on West Harling Heath


This Bronze Age round barrow stands approximately 2m high and is 26m in diameter. It has been suggested that this barrow and another very close by (NHER 6102) are located next to an ancient trackway. Prehistoric worked flint flakes have been found nearby.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9620 8322
Map Sheet:TL98SE

Full description

No trees, many flint flakes around. ?On a definite ancient trackway. Circular, approximately 99m (108 paces) circumference, 1.83m (6 feet) high. Honeycombed with rabbit burrows.
H.D. Hewitt, 20 January 1906.

In Forestry Commision plantation before 1958.
T.H. MckClough (NCM).

For references see NHER 6102.
26m diameter, 1.5m high, covered in trees in plantation, cut by path.
A.J. Lawson (NAU), 12 February 1976.

March 1993.
Dimensions still apparently the same but now covered with bracken and scrub in area of felled woodland. Old forestry track runs over eastern edge, as noted above.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 March 1993.

Monument Types

  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 423.
---Publication: Clarke, W. G. 1925. In Breckland Wilds. First Edition. p 186.
---Scheduling Record: English Heritage. Scheduling Report.
---Scheduling Record: Corbishley, M.. 1982. AM107.
---Photograph: 1909. Tumuli, West Harling.
---Monograph: Lawson, A.J.. The Barrows of East Anglia.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 12 microfiche.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Harling (west).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: CXV 27, EMD 5, 8.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service