|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Walled kitchen garden and dovecote, Felbrigg Hall|
The brick kitchen garden walls at Felbrigg Hall (NHER 6633) were constructed in the 18th century on a square plan with a large gateway in the west corner of the south wall. A spine wall with a central gateway was constructed in 1833, and in 1842 W. H. Windham inserted a second entrance into the centre of the southern wall, re-using a 17th century doorway from Felbrigg Hall. Several glasshouses are situated in the south of the garden, and a dovecote is located in the centre of the north wall. The dovecote was constructed in the mid 18th century and restored in 1937 by R.W. Ketton-Cremer. The brick building has an octagonal plan, with an arched doorway in the south face, and a wooden octagonal turret with a lead bell-shaped dome with a weather vane. Entry for the birds is to the left of the doorway, and the interior has approximately 2000 nest holes in rows, with brick bands between the rows.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19594 39467|
|Parish:||FELBRIGG, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
THIS DOVECOTE AND WALLED GARDEN WERE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 6633.
1988. Grade II Listed Building. Dovecote and kitchen garden walls.
The Dovecote originally dates from the mid-18th century and was restored in 1937 by R.W. Ketton-Cremer. It is constructed of brick with a shingle roof and is octagonal in plan. There is a doorway in the south face with a flat rubbed brick arch and a door of 8 panels. The adjoining faces each have a Diocletian window, that to the left with entry for birds in the centre light. The wooden octogonal turret has louvres to each face with a glazed semicircular head, timber cornice and a lead bell-shaped dome with a weather vane. Internally there are approximately 2000 nest holes in rows, with brick bands between the rows. The dovecote is in the centre of the north wall of the kitchen garden. The walls are approximately 5 metres high and constructed of 18th century brick with quadrant brick coping. The garden is square in plan, the east and west walls continuing south for approximately 30 metres. There is a large gateway in the west corner of the south wall, the gatepiers topped by stone pineapples. The central 17th century doorway in the south wall was formerly of the house but was removed to the garden in 1842 by W.H. Windham. The spine wall has a central gateway with a semicircular gault brick arch dated 1833. There is a glasshouses to the south with vents to the north. A stone pineapple is located to the west end of the gardens.
See (S1) for further details.
H. White, (NLA), 18 February 2010
The Kitchen Garden is laid out around a pond and divided into four potagers. Herb borders are planted to each side of the 18th-century dovecote.
See website (S2) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 18 February 2010
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- GLASSHOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Chance for families to snap up a slice of historic garden. 11 January. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Website: 2010. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-felbrigghallgardenandpark/w-felbrigghallgardenandpark-garden.htm. |
|6633||Part of: Felbrigg Hall (Building)|
|51749||Related to: Formal Gardens, Felbrigg Hall (Landscape)|