Record Details

NHER Number:50291
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Big Oak/Thwaite's Oak

Summary

Site of a tree recorded as Big Oak, known locally as Thwaite's Oak.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 16510 87840
Map Sheet:TM18NE
Parish:TIVETSHALL ST MARGARET, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of a named tree, recorded on S1 (copy in file) as Big Oak, known locally as Thwaite's Oak. Believed to have been at least 500 years old (modern research may suggest a much greater age) when felled in 1901 on the orders of Jonathon Boyce, a local man who had made his fortune in the American goldfields and returned to buy up most of the parish. Legend suggests that he had been driven out of the village and used this as a way of getting his revenge. Fragments were made into furniture as curios throughout the area. As late as the 1990s it was reported that the land on which the tree had once stood still contained 18 inches of leafmould. A replacement tree was planted in 2006 and is registered as a heritage tree (see S2 in file, and copious contempory records in the Bollingbroke Collection, Norwich Castle Museum).
E. Rose (NLA), 1 June 2007.

Monument Types

  • NAMED TREE (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 1901 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. Village replaces its 'Big Oak' - twice over (Eastern Daily Press). 6 March.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service