|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Bronze Age barrow, Blood Hill|
This Bronze Age bowl barrow is known as Blood Hill, Bloody Knoll or Haye Meer. The scheduled area for this monument includes part of an old boundary bank that now runs through the centre of the barrow. Various prehistoric, Roman and post-medieval finds previously recorded under this number are now detailed in separate NHER records (See NHERs 5656-7 and NHERs 58003-8).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8407 8765|
|Parish:||LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Bronze Age barrow.
A large number of finds were previously recorded under this number but have now been split off. See NHER 5657 for unprovenanced material from Santon Warren that was previously discussed under this record and NHER 58003 for early 20th-century discoveries known to have been made in the vicinity of Blood Hill. Finds that were actually found in the vicinity of St Helen's Well are now recorded under NHER 5656. Finds recovered in more recent years in the vicinity of the barrow are recorded as NHER 58806, NHER 58807 and NHER 58808. Neolithic pottery that was actually found to the south of the area previously mapped is now recorded as NHER 58805.
P. Watkins (HES), 15 May 2013.
Bronze Age round barrow known as Blood Hill barrow, also referred to as Bloody Knoll or Haye Meer. See (S1), (S2) for further information and file for early photos (possibly taken by H. D. Hewitt).
The circumference of the barrow is 110 paces, with axes measuring 30 x 40 paces.
The dimensions of the barrow are 88 paces in circumference, with axes of 33 x 22 paces and a height of 6 feet.
R.R. Clarke (NCM), 1935.
The site has been almost flattened. Elongation may be due to the boundary bank. Called Haye mete in the 16th century. No hollow is visible in the top of the barrow.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
February 1976. Visit.
Mound measures 30 by 40 metres and is 0.5 metres high. It is gorse-covered and lies on a track through the plantation.
A. Lawson (NAU), February 1976.
1983-1987. Site Visits.
Site visited on several occasions by J. J. Wymer.
1983 - Track still crossed mound.
1984 - Plantation felled, track diverted to east.
September 1984 - Fenced.
December 1987 - In good order. See notes in file.
P. Watkins (HES), 14 May 2013.
MPP schedule includes section of boundary bank crossing mound. 29m by 40m oval mound 0.5m high; probably originally 34m across. Bank scheduled for 12.5m each side of mound.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 June 1997.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan March 2002 to March 2007.
D. Gurney (NLA) 24 April 2002.
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|---||Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Lynford (santon). |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Photograph: HP 14-16, CYD 2, CYM 1-3,. |
|<S1>||Publication: Clarke, W. G. and Clarke, R. R. 1937. In Breckland Wilds. Second Edition. p 54. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 421. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: English Heritage. 2002. English Heritage Management Agreement. |
Related records - none
Find out more...