|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Gable end and west wall 45m southwest of Church Bridge, Town Street|
This gable end and west wall forms part of the workshop of a builders' merchant on Town Street. It is in fact a substantial part of the right-hand rear range of a medieval lodging or guest house, probably dating to the 14th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5050 0283|
|Parish:||UPWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Gable end and west wall, workshop rear of Builders Merchants, 50 yards (45m) southwest of Bridge, Town Street. Church Bridge.
A substantial part of the right-hand rear range of the mediaeval lodging or guest house, probably 14th century, now a workshop. Coursed Barnack ashlar on splayed plinth. Two storeys.
See (S1) and (S2).
- GUEST HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1300 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1300 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Monograph: Watson, W.. 1827. An Historical Account of the Town and Port of Wisbech in the Isle of Ely.. VCH Vol.II. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...