Record Details

NHER Number:46262
Type of record:Building
Name:Methodist Chapel, The Street


A two storey brick and flint Methodist chapel of 1810 with later alterations. Inside is a panelled gallery on cast iron columns. The school to the rear of the chapel was built in 1838 and is now used as a chapel room for the Methodist Church.

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages


Grid Reference:TM 0364 8280
Map Sheet:TM08SW

Full description

Methodist chapel. 1810. Brick façade, flint returns with brick dressings and slate roof. Two storeys in three bays. Two panelled doors under round arches with overlights flank central sash window under segmental arch. Flat brick string course between corner pilasters. Three segmental mid 19th century sash windows to first floor, Hipped roof. Interior has panelled gallery on circular cast iron columns. Benches and rostrum intact.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 9 October 2006.

July 2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey.
In 1838 a Wesleyan Day School was built behind the chapel. This building is now used as a chapel room by the Methodist Church.
See (S1).
S. Howard (HES), 5 January 2012.

See also (S2)
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 29 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1810 AD to 2050 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1810 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1810 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval to Unknown - 1838 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Folliard, I. & Block, A.. 2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Former North Lopham Wesleyan Day School, North Lopham, Norfolk.. July.
<S2>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.254.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service