|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon to post medieval pits, ditches and trackways at Notre Dame School|
An archaeological evaluation of this area, at Notre Dame School, in 2005 revealed a number of ditches and pits, some of which dated to the Late Saxon or early medieval period. Two linear features were also noted, which may represent paths or cart tracks. This area was also the site of a number of 19th century buildings which were destroyed around World War Two.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23207 07933|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
September 2005. NAU evaluation, four trenches. Contexts 1-256 used.
Work revealed three ditches and a couple of possible pits some of which were dated by pottery to the Late Saxon or early medieval period. At a higher level were two linear features which may represent paths or cart tracks. In the upper part of the trenches were the remains of 19th century buildings that were destroyed around World War Two.
See also (S2).
J. Allen (NLA), 7 March 2006.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PATH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval to World War Two - 1800 AD to 1945 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 2006. NAU Archaeology Report No. 1102. An Archaeological Evaluation at Notre Dame High School, Norwich.. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2006. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2005. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 124-136. p 132. |
Related records - none
Find out more...