|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Occasional metal-detecting between 2002 and 2012 recovered a fragment of possible Early Saxon pottery; Roman, Middle Saxon and medieval coins and Saxon and medieval metal objects. The metal finds include an Early Saxon sword pommel, a Middle to Late Saxon strap end, a Late Saxon brooch and a medieval horse harness pendant and papal bulla of Urban VI (1378-89).
|Grid Reference:||TG 21 36|
|Parish:||ROUGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May-June 2002. Metal detecting.
Medieval (S1) and undatable metal objects.
See lists and drawings in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 July 2002.
March-April 2005. Metal-detecting.
1 ?Early Saxon pottery sherd.
1 Middle-Late Saxon strap end.
1 Late Saxon disk brooch (borre style).
1 Undated silver droplet.
Objects Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA), S. Ashley (NLA) and A. Cattermole (NLA). See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 May 2005.
Updated by J. Page (HES), 6 February 2014.
January-February 2012. Metal-detecting.
One Middle Saxon and one medieval coin, Early Saxon sword pommel (S2) and medieval papal bull.
See lists in file.
S. Ashley (HES), 19 March 2012.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CASTING WASTE (Unknown date)
- RING (Unknown date)
- WEIGHT (Unknown date)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 260 AD to 269 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 260 AD to 378 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 268 AD to 270 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 286 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 312 AD to 313 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 330 AD to 348 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 355 AD to 361 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SWORD (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- STRAP END (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD to 1065 AD)
- COIN (Middle Saxon - 670 AD to 710 AD)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BULL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BELL (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1400 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1207 AD to 1216 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1281 AD to 1294 AD)
- THIMBLE (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1400 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1301 AD to 1314 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1591 AD to 1594 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Ashley, S.. 2002. Drawing of a medieval harness pendant.. Film. 2:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2012. Drawing of an Early Saxon copper alloy sword pommel .. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...