|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman brooch, medieval coin and unfinished seal matrix, post medieval objects|
Metal detecting in 1990 recovered a Roman brooch, a medieval coin and an unfinished lead seal matrix, as well as a post medieval buckle and cloth seal.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 08 30|
|Parish:||THURNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February/March 1999. Metal detecting.
H. M. Geake (NCM) identifying:
Unfinished medieval lead seal matrix. Oval in shape (with rounded ends) with an impierced lug at top. Central motif is a neat fleur-de-lis cut UPSIDE DOWN. There is a cross at the top but then the matrix has been abadoned, ?because of the inverted motif. On the reverse is scratched SIG. Dating to around the 13th century. Interesting.
Polariod in NCM (S1) and CAST.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 15 April 2001.
April/May 1999. Metal detecting.
One medieval coin.
Medieval and post medieval metal finds.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 June 1999.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLOTH SEAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
Related records - none
Find out more...