|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of church of St Vedast, Rose Lane, Norwich|
St Vedast is believe to have been a pre-conquest church, although the first direct documentary reference is in AD 1154 to 1160. The church was demolished in 1540 to 1541, and in 1562 the parish was united with St Peter Parmentergate and the churchyard (NHER 131) was leased out by the Dean and Chapter. The churchyard was in use at least to 1744, and a house was built on the side in the 19th century, incorporating a fragment of a Late Saxon cross recovered from the churchyard. The house was demolished in 1896. The site sits within what is believed to be the Greyfriar Precinct (NHER 373), but the nature of the relationship between St Vedast and the friary is unclear.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2353 0857|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Site of St Vedast's Church.
Found pre-conquest on the evidence of the dedication (Scandinavian) and on the presumption that St Vedast is the church mentioned (not by name) in the Domesday Book as being 1/6th owned by Edstan.
The first direct documentary reference is for 1154 to 1160. The church was demolished in 1540 to 1541. In 1562 the parish was united with St Peter Parmentergate and the churchyard was leased out by the Dean and Chapter. The churchyard was in use at least to 1744.
A house was built on the side in the 19th century, demolished in 1896. The Late Saxon cross shaft was built into the angle of this house. According to (S1) this cross is in Norwich Castle Musuem.
It has been argued (S2) that the dedication is Flemish. A 13th century list shows the church to have been dedicated also to St Armond (a Flemish saint).
See file for further details.
Note that this record partly duplicates the churchyard site (NHER 131).
See also Alan Carter's Building Survey (S3) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 2 November 2007.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD? to 1540 AD)
- CROSS (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 320. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Hudson, W. 1898. On a Sculptured Stone recently removed from a House on the Site of the Church of St. Vedast, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XIII pp 116-124. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|131||Parent of: Site of churchyard of St Vedast (Monument)|
|373||Part of: Greyfriars' Precinct, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...