Record Details

NHER Number:394
Type of record:Monument
Name:Greyfriars building wall and inhumations

Summary

During the construction of an extension to a warehouse in this area in 1950 numerous skeletons and some medieval pottery sherds were discovered. In addition, the excavations cut through a medieval wall. These are all thought to be evidence of the Greyfriars monastery (NHER 373), situated in this area during the medieval period.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2344 0869
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Wallace King Ltd warehouse, St. Faiths Lane.

1950. Construction of extensions to Wallace King Ltd.
The excavations cut through a medieval wall of Greyfriars Monastery and disturbed 'numerous' (R. R. Clarke (NCM), 1950) skeletons lying east to west.
One sherd of medieval ('grey ware' according to R. R. Clarke 1950).
One jetton (15th-16th century).
Within precinct of Greyfriars (site NHER 373).
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Monument Types

  • FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.

Related records

373Part of: Greyfriars' Precinct, Norwich (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service