|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Rougham|
This intriguing church is situated at the edge of the park. It dates mostly to the 14th-16th centuries but also features earlier Norman carvings and Roman bricks. The north aisle and roof are far more modern, having been restored in 1913. Inside the arcade features very slim columns with floral capitals as well as a nice, early 19th century carving of the Ten Commandments. Several important late medieval brasses are housed here, including many dedicated to the Yelverton family and one depicting two chrysom babes. It is also worth noting that a gravestone in the churchyard commemorates Thomas Keppel North, the man who designed the first aeroplane to fly across the Atlantic.
|Grid Reference:||TF 8305 2050|
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Some reset Norman carvings. Roman bricks claimed. Basic build is early 14th century, but present windows, west door, chancel and north arcade are 15th/16th. North aisle and chapel removed in late 17th century; alterations of this date removed again in 1870s and in 1913 when high quality restoration provided a new aisle and roof.
Several important late medieval brasses.
Headstones in yard include listed example of 1919 depicting the first aircraft to cross the Atlantic.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 12 February 2005.
Before 11 November 2006. Found during grave digging.
Fragment of 16th century Flemish ceramic floor tile, no original edge present, brown lead/iron glaze. 43mm thick, weighing 156g. Large size, see for comparison Drury (S3), Type 3, probably 240-245 mm square.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 4 November 2006.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8220 W-X; TF8320 E,F,G,H. |
|---||Article in serial: Fawcett, R. 1980. A Group of Churches by the Architect of Great Walsingham. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt III pp 277-294. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 8320J. |
|---||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1988. Six Deserted Medieval Villages in Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 44, pp 58-9, 66. |
|---||Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches.. |
|---||Leaflet: Rougham, Church of St Mary.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: ELE 19-20, ELK 8-9, Ladbrooke AS 7-8. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. |
|<S3>||Article in monograph: Rogerson, A. and Ashley, S. J. 1987. The Parish Churches of Barton Bendish: the Excavation of All Saints' and the architecture of St Andrew's and St Mary's. Three Norman Churches in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. Rogerson, A. et al.. No 32 pp 1-66. p 41. |
Related records - none
Find out more...