|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of deserted medieval village of Houghton|
Part of the medieval village of Houghton, also recorded under NHER 28476. This part of the village was removed in the 1730s during the expansion of the park, and the inhabitants rehoused in New Houghton, NHER 3547. The remains of the village around the church were completely levelled, and only some low earthwork banks and the village pond survive, in contrast with the well-preserved earthworks of the northern end of the village, NHER 28476.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7931 2843|
|Parish:||HOUGHTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of old Houghton village.
Mentioned in Domesday, Nomina Villarum, 22 taxpayers in 1329, 37 in 1377, 80 acres converted to grass 1517.
New Houghton commenced 4 July 1729, old village finally destroyed about 1740.
Allison says site was 'near church'.
Site identified on ground by E. Rose (NAU) 2 June 1977.
Double row of low mounds, with larger one abutting on northwest of churchyard, and other undulations to north.
E. Rose (NAU)
See file for condition in 1991.
(S1) quotes maps of 1731 and 1735 as showing a large barn standing west of the church; the mounds may be associated with this.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 January 1995.
(S2) notes that this part of the village, which orginally extended from the church to the north of the Hall, was removed in the 1730s when the park expanded to the south and east. The remaining inhabitants were rehoused in New Houghton, NHER 3547. The remains of this area of the village were almost completely obliterated; only some low earthwork banks that mark the line of the village street, the village pond and other slight earthworks survive near the church, in contrast to the well preserved earthwork of the northern end of the village, see NHER 28476.
See (S2) and NHER 28476 for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 6 April 2006
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 NE 3 . |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Houghton. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Yaxley, D.. 1994. The Tower of Houghton St Martin.. The Annual. No 3, p 46. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 286. pp55-57. |
|30463||Part of: Houghton Park (Monument)|
|28476||Related to: Earthworks of deserted medieval village of Houghton, North Drive (Monument)|
|3549||Related to: St Martin's Church, Houghton (Building)|
Find out more...