Record Details

NHER Number:3465
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman wall, post hole and finds

Summary

The footings of a Roman wattle and daub wall, a post hole, and fragments of Roman pottery and animal bones were revealed during an excavation in the early 1960s by the King Edward VII School in King's Lynn.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6648 1487
Map Sheet:TF61SE
Parish:MIDDLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Blackborough End, 1961 to 1962. Excavations by King Edward VII School, King's Lynn.
Footings of Roman wattle and daub wall, and post hole, Samian and rusticated sherds.
See (S1).

Section 61cm (2 feet) of sand at top 15cm to 37cm (6 inches - 1 foot 3 inches) black layer with bones over white sand. Piles of flint and carrstone found.
Plans by [1] in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • BUILDING? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WALL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Map: Sampson, A.J.. 1962. Plan of Excavations on Roman Site at Blackborough End, Middleton.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Middleton.
---Article in serial: 1963. Archaeological Discoveries in Norfolk, 1961. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 14 (for 1961 and 1962) pp 1-3. p 2.
<S1>Serial: Smallwood, J.. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin.. no 8.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service