|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Possible Roman hoard|
A number of Roman iron objects, including a coulter and an adze, were found by a metal detectorist before 1995. The objects may be part of a Roman hoard. The exact circumstances and the location of their discovery are unknown.
Images - none
Found pre 1995. Purchased in that year by source ; vendor described as metal detecting at Hockwold.
Roman possible iron hoard comprising: plough coulter (S1); adze or hoe; lock with key; octagonal shaft; triangular blade.
All similar to items from Great Whitcombe.
Full details in file.
Also reported, a hippo-sandal which fell apart after discovery.
Information via J. Plouviez (Suffolk Archaeology Unit) 1997.
E. Rose (NLA) 6 January 1998.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ADZE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HOARD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HORSESHOE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LOCKING MECHANISM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PLOUGH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Rees, S.. 1981. Ancient Agricultural Implements. p.50, fig.10. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Unknown. 1995. Drawing of a Roman plough coulter.. Film. 1:4. |
Related records - none
Find out more...