|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||James Stuart Gardens, Recorder Road|
The James Stuart Gardens were designed by Boardman and laid out before 1922 as a memorial to James Stuart of Carrow Abbey, in accordance with the will of his widow. The gateway and garden office are also by Boardman and are dated 1922 on a plaque. Constructed of red brick and stone, this single storey building has a pantile roof. There is a round pediment above the gateway arch, with a shield surrounded by scrolls and flanked by festoons, as well as wrought-iron gates. The garden has a central bowling green.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2372 0863|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Designed by Boardman and laid out before 1922 as a memorial to James Stuart of Carrow Abbey in accordance with the will of his widow, and part of the same plan as the Stuart Court almshouses of 1914-15. Entrance building by Boardman. Central bowling green. Blocked archway in south wall, linking to an area now built over, may predate the
garden. Garden still forms foreground of Stuart Court but is in very poor condition with bowling green disused, repairs to walls in unsympathetic materials. However, still graded as of regional importance by Norfolk Historic Buildings Survey, which see for details.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 1998.
English Heritage Listing:
Gateway to James Stuart Gardens, Recorder Road.
Gateway and garden office. 1922 on plaque by E. Boardman. Red brick and stone. Pantile roof. Single-storey. Two two-light casement windows in office with semi-elliptical moulded stone arch with Keystone to left-side. Round pediment above arch with shield surrounded by scrolls and flanked by festoons. Festooned stone corner pilasters and fascia displaying 'The James Stuart Garden'. Wrought-iron gates. Stringcourse and parapet above office.
Information from (S1).
- GARDEN (Modern - 1922 AD to 2050 AD)
- PUBLIC PARK (Modern - 1922 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|Mon 1304||Parent of: Marsh Between The River and St Faiths Lane (Monument)|
Find out more...