Record Details

NHER Number:2619
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Mary's Church, Caldecote

Summary

This site, closely associated with NHER 1021, is the remains of a medieval church associated with the village of Caldecote, NHER 2634, which was deserted during the medieval period. The church fell into disuse by the beginning of the 16th century, and only the footings of one wall remain visible.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 74455 03480
Map Sheet:TF70SW
Parish:OXBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Buried foundations of church alone remain on natural mound. Local belief suggests this mound held a Temple of Diana during the roman period, though there is currently no evidence of this. This site is closely associated with NHER 1021.

Scheduled Monument.
Site of church and churchyard on a large mound 100 feet across and 10 feet high.
Human bones and medieval pottery have been found on the mound.
The outlines of the church are visible, but nothing remains above ground.
The church was in decay in the 16th century and was profaned in 1603, at which time there was only one house in the parish. In 1739 Blomefield (Sb) wrote that the church had been in ruins for over 100 years.
Information from (Se).
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 March 2013.

Before 1808. Observation.
Blomefield noted that the church had been in ruins for over 100 years, but many of the walls were still standing. He described it as a single flint and chalk building with a north and south door and several niches for statues. He also described a chancel which appeared to have been constructed at a later date.
Information from (Sb).
H. Hamilton (HES), 30 January 2013.

1895.
The ruins of the church are mentioned along with a rude cinerary containing human bones and elieved to be a Roman burial ground (presumably NHER 1021).
Information from (Sf).
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 March 2013.

1901 to 1907. Interpretation.
Local tradition maintained that a temple to the goddess Diana existed on this site before the church was constructed.
Information from (Sa).
H. Hamilton (HES), 30 January 2013.

1903. Observation.
Bryant record

24 April 1960. Site Visit.
Footings are visible in grass. Human skeletal remains on south side.
R. R. Clarke (NCM), 24 April 1960.

1976. Field observation following excavation by unknown person.
A trench measuring approximately 6 feet by 1 foot and 1 foot deep, located adjacent to a flint and mortar wall visible on the ground surface, was found following reports of illegal excavation. No other foundations were visible. The mound was overgrown with grass and trees , has several large occupied rabbit holes, and wide depresions. The surrounding field was under crop. The farmer advised that the trench had been dug last summer by unknown persons who claimed they had found Roman pottery.
Information from (Sc).
See photograph (Sd)
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 March 2013.

There are no remains visible at the current time except for wall footings visible in small ditch possibly dug by the unknown excavator of 1976. The site is very overgrown and extensively occupied by rabbits. The church was probably abandoned at the end of the 15th or beginning of the 16th century.
See secondary file for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 October 1990.

Monument Types

  • OVAL ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

<Sf>Article in serial: Coulton, J. J. 1895. Names on the Wissey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XII pp 13-24. p 20.
---Article in serial: Davison, A. 1984. The Desertion of Caldecote: Some Further Evidence. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt I pp 53-54.
<Sg>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. 8: EI4, FI.
<Sb>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VI. p 59.
<Sc>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<Se>Unpublished document: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England. Ancient Monuments Record Form.
<Sa>Newspaper Article: Nightingale, R.C. (Norwich Mercury). 1907. A Forgotten Ancient Cemetery. February.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<Sd>Photograph: BDE 10.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service