Record Details

NHER Number:26156
Type of record:Building
Name:Remains of Anchorite House, St James' Works, Whitefriars

Summary

The remains of an Anchorite House belonging to the Whitefriars monastery are situated on this site. A stone arch in the remains dates to the mid 14th century, and there is also a flint and brick wall with three orders of mouldings. The monastery itself (NHER 430) was founded by Philip de Cougate around 1256.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23432 09200
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

English Heritage Listing:
The remains of an Anchorite House belonging to the Whitefriars monastery. Mid 14th century stone arch in remains of flint and brick wall with three orders of mouldings with attached shaft.
The monastery was founded by Philip de Cougate around 1256.
Information from (S1).

Monument Types

  • HERMITAGE (Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1539 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources - none

Related records

430Part of: Precinct of Whitefriars (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service