|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Early/Middle Saxon mount, late medieval harness pendant|
In 1990 an Early Saxon or Middle Saxon Style II decorated mount, and a late medieval harness pendant, were recovered from this area. The Saxon mount was of gilt copper alloy with two animals with interlaced bodied depicted at the centre.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 26 11|
|Parish:||SPROWSTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
September 1990. Method of finding unknown.
Early Saxon/Middle Saxon Style II decorated pelta shaped mount, with three studs on reverse. Gilt bronze. Decorated in two fields with U-shaped field in centre at wide end of mount; probably two animals with ribbon interlace bodies and heads in U-shaped field. (S1)
Late medieval harness pendant in two pieces; oval plate decorated with criss-cross bands, with rosettes formed from annulets at each junction. Broken at base. One projecting fragment survives with border of annulets and "wavy" edge (equivalent of "tassel" at base of pendant).
Name of finder unknown to compiler.
Ident S. Margeson.
Comp A. Rogerson 1 November 1990.
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOX (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BOX (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: FVA 20-23, FTJ 1-3. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
Related records - none
Find out more...