|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Wallington deserted medieval village|
This is the site of Wallington deserted medieval village. This village was depopulated by Judge Gawdy during the late 16th century to make way for a park. Earthworks and cropmarks of a possible hollow way and enclosures are visible on aerial photographs. A number of finds have been retrieved from the site including prehistoric flints, Roman coins, a medieval purse frame and medieval pottery sherds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6284 0757|
|Parish:||RUNCTON HOLME, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of Wallington deserted medieval village. This village was recorded as a Domesday Vill (S1) and is mentioned in the Nomina Villarum of 1316 (S2). Combined with Thorpland in 1329, the inhabitants of which came here to use the church after theirs was ruined. The village's church - St Margaret's - is now ruined, having been profaned by Judge Gawdy in the late 16th century (S3). Gawdy depopulated the village for his park and made the church a barn. Information from (S4). See also (S5).
See NHER 59917 and NHER 59918 for details of finds recovered from the area of the deserted village (previously recorded under this number). See NHER 30527 for further information on Wallington Park. The ruins of St Margaret's church are recorded under NHER 50898.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 25 November 2013.
10 April 1978. Site visit.
Site visited by Ordnance Survey Inspector.
Nothing indicative of medieval desertion is visible in the suggested area, but the owner of Wallington Hall has numerous sherds of 13th- to 14th-century pottery which has been ploughed up from the park. Perambulation revealed nothing but a brick debris scatter visible at TF 6285 0760 but this resulted from the now demolished icehouse which was built after the 16th-century emparking (NHER 2426). Vague soil marks only noted on OS air photographs.
Information from (S4).
P. Watkins (HES), 25 November 2013.
February 2008. Norfolk NMP
Earthworks and cropmarks relating to the deserted medieval settlement of Wallington are visible on aerial photographs (S7-S14). The remains of St Margaret's Church were included as part of this site but are now recorded separately as NHER 50898. The earliest available aerial photographs of the site, which date to 1946, show it as grassland forming park of Wallington Park (NHER 30527). Earthworks of a possible curving hollow way are present on a northwest to southeast alignment. Further earthworks and cropmarks of linear ditches are present. These appear to define rectilinear enclosures, although these are too incomplete for their dimensions to be fully ascertained. It is likely that they relate to tofts, crofts and field boundaries forming the medieval settlement of Wallington.
J. Albone (NMP), 22 February 2008
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CROFT? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Blake, W. J. 1952. Norfolk Manorial Lords in 1316 (Parts I and II). Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 234-286. |
|<S3>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VII. |
|<S4>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 NW 7 . |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Allison, K. J. 1955. The Lost Villages of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 116-162. |
|<S6>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1601 4008-9 25-JUN-1946 (NMR). |
|<S7>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1606 3340-1 27-JUN-1946 (NHER TF 6206A / TF 6207A). |
|<S8>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1976. OS/76125 498-9 01-JUL-1976. |
|<S9>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1974. NHER TF 6207A-G (NLA 13/ADF11-7) 12-JUL-1974. |
|<S10>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1975. NHER TF 6207H-J (NLA 22/ADW36) 30-JUL-1975. |
|<S11>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1974. NHER TF 6207K-L (NLA 13/SLIDE) 12-JUL-1974. |
|<S12>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1974. NHER TF 6207M (CAP BQF61) 02-JUL-1974. |
|<S13>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (AAF). 1978. NHER TF 6207R-S (AAF 167/25-6) 30-MAY-1978. |
|2426||Parent of: Site of post medieval icehouse (Monument)|
|30527||Part of: Wallington Park (Monument)|
|50898||Related to: St Margaret's Church, Wallington (Building)|
Find out more...