|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Clipstone deserted settlement|
Clipstone village was recorded in the Domesday Book and mentioned as Clifton in a document of 1316. By 1334 it had been amalgamated with Kettlestone. The location of the village is unknown.
Images - none
Clipstone deserted village.
Clipstone was a Domesday vill combined with Kettlestone by 1334. Site unidentified.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Note Clipstone House.
Clipstone also mentioned in (S2). Referred to as 'Clifton'.
Information from (S3).
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 6 June 1990.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fulmodeston. |
|<S1>||Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum.. |
|<S3>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
Related records - none
Find out more...