|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Probable Early Saxon cemetery|
A Coptic bowl, four Early Saxon pots, a pair of tweezers and iron knives were seen in an antiquities shop in Norwich. It is unclear how or where these were found but they may come from Saxlingham, Field Dalling, Saxlingham Nethergate or Caistor St Edmund. An Early Saxon hanging bowl, probably from the same site, is now in the British Museum. The finds probably came from an Early Saxon cemetery.
Images - none
|Parish:||CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|FIELD DALLING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|NORFOLK NO PROVENANCE, -, NORFOLK|
|SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre late 1978. Said to have been ploughed up; seen in shop.
Coptic bowl, also four Early Saxon pots, tweezers and iron knives, Roman figurines and brooches perhaps not associated. Reputed to come from 'Saxlingham Norfolk' - possibly the Field Dalling cemetery NHER 6164; Saxlingham Nethergate unknown site; or really from Caistor as suggested by A. Gregory (NAU).
See discussion in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 November 1984.
Also a hanging bowl.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 July 1986.
Hanging bowl now in British Museum.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 10 September 1992.
Coptic bowl sold at Christies September 1998, see (S2) and (S3).
- CEMETERY? (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HANGING BOWL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOWL (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- HANGING BOWL (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- KNIFE (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- TWEEZERS (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Finds Illustration. |
|---||Photograph: Coptic bowl. |
|---||Correspondence: Pemberton, P.R.W.. 1985. Letter. Coptic bowl. 25 July. |
|---||Article in serial: V129 large heavy green bronze bowl.. Seaby Catalogue. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Bruce-Mitford, R.L.S.. Draft. 'Field Dalling' hanging bowl IN Corpus of Hanging Bowls. |
|<S2>||Correspondence: Geake, H.. 1998. Letter. Saxlingham Coptic bowl. 16 September. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: 1998. Lot 160. A Coptic bronze bowl.. Christie's Catalogue. |
|6164||Related to: Early Saxon cremation and inhumation cemetery, Saxlingham (Monument)|
Find out more...