|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Early Saxon loomweight fragments and multi-period pottery sherds|
Fenland fieldwalking here in 1983 recovered sherds of Roman, medieval and Late Saxon pottery. Some of these sherds were scattered over a roddon of unknown date. In addition, two Early Saxon loomweights and part of a lava quern were also retrieved.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5036 0897|
|Parish:||WALSOKEN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
17 February 1983.
Scatter of odd sherds of medieval pottery in field.
Context 2 at 5035 0892.
Large scatter Roman pottery over large roddon - west side and top. Some bone and post medieval debris. Lava quern fragment.
Pottery fairly dense in places.
No obvious soil discolouration noted.
Less than 110m north-to-south x 90m east-to-west 2.1m (7ft) OD.
Identifications by R. Silvester (NAU) March 1983.
R. Silvester (NAU) March 1983.
Also includes two Early Saxon loomweight fragments and one Late Saxon sherd (A. Rogerson (NAU)).
For full details of wares, flint types etc. see Fenland Folders.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- WATERCOURSE (Undated)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LOOMWEIGHT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WSK AG. FENS. |
Related records - none
Find out more...