Record Details

NHER Number:17329
Type of record:Monument
Name:Dunton deserted medieval village

Summary

The medieval village of Dunton has survived as earthworks around St Peter's Church, NHER 2004. On either side of the road, the earthworks of tofts, garden boundaries, and a well-defined hollow way are visible on the ground and on aerial photographs. One complex, ditched enclosure may be a medieval moated site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8808 3004
Map Sheet:TF83SE
Parish:DUNTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

26 July and 9 August 1977. NAU air photography.
Earthworks apparently of deserted medieval village, probably Dunton (but just possibly Doughton).
These consist of possible house platforms etc to west and south of Dunton Church and Dunton Farm, and northeast of Doughton Farm.
At TF 8805 3000 is a dry moated site.
The long channel marked on (S1) appears to have been cut across the middle of this, rather than being one of its sides.
A good hollow way running to northeast.
Ordnance Survey aerial photograph, information from A. Gregory (NAU)
D. Edwards (NAU) 16 March 1981 and E. Rose (NAU) 1 June 1981.

1991. Visit by H. Paterson (A&E)
Site lies to northwest, west and southwest of Dunton Church and Dunton Farm.
Earthworks in good condition under healthy grazed pasture.
Further earthworks visible to northwest of church.
Minimal poaching in some areas, some mole and rabbit disturbance.
Site form in file.
Helen Paterson (A&E) February 1991

1995. Earthwork survey of 1992 enhanced, with further report in file.
See (S2) and (S3).
B. Cushion (NLA) March 1995.

Site under excellent grass cover.
One large rabbit burrow still active northwest of church.
No pottery but a few tile 'chips' noted in upcast.
Farm manager will deal with rabbits.
H. Paterson (A&E) 6 December 1995.

Minimal mole and rabbit disturbance, small chips of brick in upcast, no pottery.
Limited poaching near pole east of house.
Four small trees planted south of house adjacent to road.
Otherwise good ground cover.
H. Paterson (NLA) 17 September 1998.

See hanging plan of site.

19 July 1996. NLA air photography.
Photographs taken show all features recorded buring the earthwork survey fairly clearly.
The area of earthworks to the west of the church (adjacent to the main north to south street), can be seen to continue slightly into the arable land, with enclosures showing as cropmarks.
S. Massey (NLA), 27 April 2001.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • SHINE
  • Management Statement

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8830 A-C,F-H; TF8730 A-D,K-N; TF8829 K; OS AP 73.002.031.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8730/Q - X; TF8830/M.
---Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A.. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 104. p 29.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Unpublished document: Cushion, B. (NLA). 1992. Earthwork Survey.
<S3>Unpublished document: Cushion, B. (NLA). Earthwork Survey.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service