|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval brick kilns near Brick Kiln Farm|
A number of post medieval brick kilns are visible as rectangular earthworks on this site. The brick kilns probably date to the early 19th century and they were in use until the 1920s.
Images - none
Remains of brick kilns.
According to Forestry Commission keeper, these were fairly intact until not many years ago, when the cottage on (S1) was demolished and the area planted with young pines. Some of the kilns are still visible as rectangular earthwork enclosures with brickwork visible in sides. Apparently early 19th century.
The well shown on Ordnance Survey has been capped in concrete.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 26 February 1981.
According to the Borough Council conservation plan the kilns produced 'Yellow Wiltons' and 'Red Wiltons' and closed in the 1920s.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 December 2002.
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...