|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints and multi period pottery sherds, Washpit Farm|
Fieldwalking in 1970-74 and 1981 recovered a collection of multi period pottery sherds and prehistoric flint pieces from this location. The number of medieval and post medieval sherds suggest that some sort of settlement may have been present here in these periods.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 817 210|
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1970-74. Surface finds.
Collection not seen because not kept separate, not necessarily all retained. See full list in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 February 1981.
1981. NARG fieldwalking finds.
See plan filed under NHER 3673.
Their Context Q.
One Roman micaceous greyware sherd.
Twenty-three unglazed probably all medieval.
One rim early medieval unglazed.
One handle fragment - Grimston-Thetford?
One glazed Grimston base sherd.
One post medieval glazed.
One post medieval stoneware.
One miscellaneous tile fragments.
Also Context 'Q1' - 'top near Massingham Gate'.
One medieval unglazed sherd.
Context Q - Unit context 2, and 'Q1', - Context 3.
All identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) December 1981.
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...