|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval to post settlement and multi-period finds, Hales Green|
Fieldwalking has recovered a substantial amount of medieval and post medieval pottery from this site, suggesting that it was the site of a small common edge settlement during the medieval and post medieval periods. Other medieval and post medieval finds have also been recovered.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 373 958|
|Parish:||HALES, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1980/1. Southeast corner of Hales Green.
Finds from NARG fieldwalking.
Divided into 12 contexts, see detailed (S1) in file.
Medieval sherds from 12th century onwards.
Post medieval sherds.
Metalwork, burnt clay etc.
See full list in file.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) November 1980, 1981.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 December 1980.
(S2) records this sites as Sites 5 to 12.
Site 10, to the south of this site, produced pottery dating to the 12th century. Later in the medieval period the focus shifted to Sites 5 to 9, and considerable amounts of 13th and 14th century pottery have been recovered from these sites. The remains of a ditched platform on Sites 7 and 8 were observed during the survey.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 25 January 2006
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOX (Undated)
- BRICK (Undated)
- BRIQUETAGE (Undated)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Undated)
- HARNESS (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- NAIL (Undated)
- TILE (Undated)
- TWEEZERS (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Hales Survey. Hales Survey fieldwalking notes. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49. |
Related records - none
Find out more...