Record Details

NHER Number:15781
Type of record:Building
Name:Nos 29 and 31 Damgate Street

Summary

No 29 and 31 are a timber-framed and jettied house. It is thought to have been a guildhall, but the date of construction is debated, and may be 1512, 1530 or 1580. It was rebuilt in the early 17th century, and contains a very ornate parlour cell. The north end and service cell were destroyed by fire in the 18th century, and it was subdivided around 1800 until restoration in 1980.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1089 0140
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Timber framed jettied house. Stated [1] to be a guildhall of 1512 and in Listing as of 1530 rebuilt early 17th century, the details rather suggest that it is of around 1580. Very ornate parlour cell; hall marked remarkably spartan and crude - north end, and service cell, destroyed by fire probably in 18th century. Possibility of guild use of large first floor room. Subdivided around 1800, restored 1980s.
See report (S1), (S2) in file by Wymondham Society and by E. Rose (NLA), 1998.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 1998.

Monument Types

  • GUILDHALL? (Medieval to Modern - 1512 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1512 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to Modern - 1512 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in serial: Barnhall, K. 1996. The Religious Guilds of Wymondham, c 1470-1550. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 321-331.
---Photograph: JHB 12-14.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Survey by Wymondham Society.
<S2>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service