Record Details

NHER Number:15774
Type of record:Building
Name:Nos 17 and 18 Market Place, No 1 Queen Street

Summary

Nos 17 and 18 are thought to have been built directly after the Wymondham fire of 1616. Although the side wall of No 18 has been built in a mock-Tudor style, the rear extension, which forms No 1 Queen Street, has a genuine exposed timber-frame on the upper storey.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1104 0146
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

13 February 1980. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Side wall of No 18 Market Place in mock-Tudor style, but resting on two stone head corbels of which the northern one could be genuine. However rear extension (No 1 Queen Street) has genuine exposed timber framing on upper storey, with one original blocked window, 16th or 17th century. Large irregular chimney on south gable. Ground floor clad in modern brick.

Revised listing 1994 (S1) notes three sunk quadrant moulded bridging beams on first floor. Clasped purlin and butt purlin roof. Rear wing has hollow moulded spine beam to ground floor, intact studwork to full height, roof of 'staggered butt purlins'. Building is dated to immediately after the fire of 1616.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 6 June 1994.

Architects plans (1995) in file (S2).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • SHOP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Photograph of No 1 Queen Street, Wymondham. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service