|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||No 15 Market Place|
No 15 comprises two gables facing north into Market Place, each jettied. The building is thought to have been built directly after the Wymondham fire of 1616, and has a Victorian shop front and a good multi-angled brick chimney.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1105 0145|
|Parish:||WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
13 February 1980. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Two gables facing north into Market Place, each jettied. First floor above Victorian shop front. Good multi-angled brick
chimney. Early 17th century.
Building under restoration.
Well discovered in 'old bakehouse' at rear, said to have been in use until 1928. Associated with story of ghost.
See newspaper cutting in file (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 7 October 1985.
1994 Revised listing (S2) dates to immediately after fire of 1616; states ground floor interior has sunk quadrant moulded bridging beam with roll and hollow soffit. First floor with heavy studs and straight corner braces. East room with sunk quadrant moulded bridging beam, some large panel partitions. East window of wing shows remains of ovolo mullions. Clasp purlin roof.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 6 June 1994.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD? to 2050 AD)
- SHOP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD to 2050 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD to 2050 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1616 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 4 October. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...