|Type of record:||Monument|
This is the approximate site where a human skeleton was found during road widening west of East Runton village in 1906. The remains were of a male and were reinterred in the local churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 195 426|
|Parish:||RUNTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Approximate site where in road widening on hill west of East Runton village in 1906 a human skeleton was found 4ft deep, 5ft 10in to 6ft in height, male, teeth in good condition. Local legend claimed it was a smuggler killed and buried there. Bones reinterred in churchyard.
This may be the same site as the 'findspot of human bones' where the ghostly light that appears at the mill disappears into the ground.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection and (S1).
See detailed discussion in file.
Another version of the story, told to  by a very old man some years ago, was that this was a pedlar of watches who showed his money too freely in the local inn.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 March 1982.
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...