|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of a medieval chapel|
According to an early 19th century document an old chapel was located to the south of the church. However, a visit to Rougham village in 1979 failed to locate this structure, although the fact that many buildings here have been rebuilt in more modern times may have hindered this search.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8317 2021|
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Blomefield (S1) mentions an old chapel standing some distance south of the church, and used as a barn.
30 August 1979.
Village searched by E. Rose (NAU) but nothing answering to this description found. Most of the village has been rebuilt since Blomefield's time. Informant  identified site at grid reference as traditional site of the chapel. When a boy he remembers the adjoining cottage having the mark of the gable end against it which is supposed to have belonged to the chapel. There are two pairs of flint cottages south of the spot marked, not marked on Ordnance Survey 1953 6in map though they seem to be 19th century. The northern of these has the mark of the gable on its own north gable
wall, but it is very low and looks more like the traces of a garden shed or outhouse.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 February 1981.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
Related records - none
Find out more...