Record Details

NHER Number:12864
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible site of medieval chapel of St Botolph

Summary

According to documentary sources this is the location of the medieval chapel of St Botolph that was mentioned in 1214 and known by the name of Meton-He. A visit to the site in 1977 found that much of the site was under modern housing, and a local informant claimed that nothing of interest was found during the construction of these houses.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 226 272
Map Sheet:TG22NW
Parish:BURGH AND TUTTINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

According to (S1), in the field north of Tuttington church were the foundations of a chapel of St Botolph mentioned in 1214, known by the improbable name of Meton-He (if this is not a misprint!).

28 September 1977. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
The west side of the field is now covered with modern houses. The postmaster says he watched the site when foundation trenches and septic tanks were dug, and nothing at all was revealed. The east side is still empty.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 September 1977.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service