|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Walstan's medieval well|
A St Walstan's well formerly existed at Taverham during the medieval period. In legend it was the first resting place of the saint's hearse, the others being at Costessey and Bawburgh. The exact location is disputed; it may be in the grounds of the Hall near the church or otherwise in a field marked on maps as Walstan Wong or in a copse called Walstanham Plantation.
Images - none
|Parish:||TAVERHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
A St Walstan's well formerly existed at Taverham.
In legend it was the first resting place of the saint's hearse, the others being at Costessey and Bawburgh.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
Vicar told E. Rose 27 April 1978 that this was traditionally in the Hall grounds at the east end towards the church, but that he had found no trace of it.
Informant - Norfolk Archaeological Research Group, states that the field centred 1630 1410 is named on 17th century terriers as Walstan Wong (wong is a Viking derivative from VANGR, field). This does not of course necessarily mean the well was situated there, but it is a possibility.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 February 1990.
(S1) states that in 1859 the well still existed by a copse called Walstanham Plantation. Is this the same as Walstan Wong above?
No such name on 1906 25in Ordnance Survey.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 June 1993.
Anonymous notes in parish file quote a reference of 1600 which puts the well 'between Laywong on south and land of Nicholas Stokes on north and along Keswick Way'. Keswick Way is what is now Sandy Lane and Laywong is opposite the parish Church.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 May 2007.
- HOLY WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Husenberth, F.. 1859. List of St. Walstan. pp 26-7. |
Related records - none
Find out more...