Record Details

NHER Number:11914
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval village of Apton

Summary

This is the site of the medieval village of Apton which was subsumed into the village of Bergh, probably in the late medieval period. The site of the parish church of 'Apton' is at NHER 10332.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 313 993
Map Sheet:TM39NW
Parish:BERGH APTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

'Village, site of' (OS).
Site of Apton village.
Mentioned in Domesday and Nomina Villarum (1316) when the reference was to Bergh cum Apeton.
(S1) said that the town had been destroyed since time immemorial, and the church for about 200 years, though it had been suggested that the present church was formerly Apton church, and the modern village the site of Bergh.
No traces seen on air photographs by OS inspectors 1946 and 1970.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in serial: Allison, K. J. 1955. The Lost Villages of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 116-162. p 142.
<S1>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service