|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Polkey's Drainage Mill and Seven Mile Steam Engine House|
Polkey's Mill is also known as Reedham Marshes South Mill or Reedham Hall Level Mill. A brick drainage mill modernised in the late 19th century, possibly adapted from an earlier mill marked on Faden's map of 1797, on a remote stretch of the River Yare. The mill has an unusual feature in that the sails of the mill turn clockwise. All the buildings and machinery were restored 2002-5. The mill is owned by Norfolk County Council and managed by the Norfolk Windmills Trust.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4442 0349|
|Parish:||REEDHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Tall brick mill with skeletons of sails and cap machinery remaining.
Beside it is a steam pump house; the bases of the brick walls are now roofed over with corrugated iron as reed stores.
Shattered base of chimney survives, rectangular with octagonal stack.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 September 1976.
(top of chimney removed by Norfolk County Council (NCC) for safety 1973)
Drainage mill marked on (S1).
Metal boat-shaped cap added for protection 1985 by NCC.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 May 1985.
For a full description see (S11).
D. Gurney (NLA), 18 June 2008.
Remains of wooden cap frame and fanstage; cast iron windshaft and brakewheel. Wooden upright drive shaft and scoop wheel drive. Information from Listing Grade II 1985 (S2).
Newspaper photograph (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 December 1985.
According to reference (S3) the steam engine house dates from 1880 and adjacent in a corrugated iron shed are two diesel engines of the 1940s being restored in 1994.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 February 1994.
For full details of machinery of steam pump see (S5).
Listed Building upgrade to II* June 2001.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 March 2003.
The steam turbine and pump were made in 1880 by Richard Barnes of Yarmouth, not by Barnes of Reedham. (S6).
In addition there was within the group of buildings a brick wheel pit, intended for use with a mobile engine. This was destroyed during flood defence works in 2005 according to (S7).
(S8) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 July 2005.
Rebuilt by William T England whose name is cast into one of the scoop wheel bearings (S9).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 2050 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 2050 AD)
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: Department of Environment. 2001. Listed Building List 2001.. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 4403A, B, E - M, S - U. |
|---||Monograph: Hutchinson, S.. 2003. Berney Arms Remembered.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Power behind the Broads. 1 July. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Monsters of the marshes are fired up. 1 February. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Photograph of Polkey's Mill. 23 May. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Ward, A.. 2000. Smoke Drifting Over the Reeds.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal Part 4. Vol 6, No 5. pp 88ff. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. Work to restore mill. 27 March. |
|<S7>||Article in serial: Allard, P.. 2004. Millwright.. Yarmouth Archaeology. |
|<S8>||Verbal communication: Bouwens, D. (NCC). 2005. |
|<S9>||Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. |
|<S10>||Article in serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p22. |
|<S11>||Publication: Yardy, A. (NCC). 2008. Mills of the Halvergate Marshes: Reedham Marshes & Ashtree Farm.. |
|MNO6338||Related to: Polkey's Mill (drainage windmill) 75m north-east of Seven Mile House REEDHAM (Revoked)|
Find out more...