|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Mutton's Drainage Mill|
A mid 19th century drainage mill, with a four storey tarred brick tower and a boat-shaped cap. Ongoing restoration with a cap gallery added. The mill retains all its internal machinery including a complete internal scoop wheel, the only surviving example in the Broads area.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4412 0634|
|Parish:||HALVERGATE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
On approximate site of one marked on (S1).
Present mill mid 19th century restored 1980.
Tarred brick tower and boat shaped cap. Tapering, four storeys, two doors, one window at first and second floor, arched.
Complete cap frame, fan and machinery. Cap gallery of 1980. Wooden clasp arm brakewheel, cast iron windshaft, wallower, wooden drive shaft. Cast iron crown wheel and pit wheel to internal scoop wheel. Two stocks, four clamps, remains of four eight bay patent sails lie on ground. Internal scoop wheel is only example remaining in area.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 11 December 1985.
The windpump shown on (S1) was in fact to the north on NHER 40394.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 May 2004.
The apple cogs for the brake wheel were made by Barnes of Yarmouth in 1881 and installed by William England. Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 8 November 2004.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1830 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 4406E - J. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 537. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2004. Millwright.. Yarmouth Archaeology. |
Related records - none
Find out more...